How You Can Help
To fulfill our mission of helping seniors to remain in their homes we need volunteers to provide the services that they need.
- Transportation: The majority of our requests are for transportation, both local and Cape-wide to medical appointments, errands, grocery shopping, hair appointments, exercise classes, or a visit to the library.
- Handyman and Household Tasks: Many of our volunteers provide handyman and household services, doing things for our members that they can no longer do for themselves. These include, but are not limited to:
- Installing and removing air conditioners
- Changing light bulbs that are out of reach
- Hanging pictures
- Lifting boxes
- Moving clothing according to the season
- Providing help with reading mail
- Light gardening
- Technological Assistance: Volunteers who are “tech-savvy” troubleshoot problems with printers, computers and/or tablets and teach members how to use television remotes, phones, and other electronic gadgets.
- Friendly Visits and Respite: Some members request social visits. They would love to have someone to chat with or someone to read to them. Some members need a volunteer to stay with a loved one for an hour or two to provide them much-needed respite.
Signing Up to Volunteer
You will be able to peruse our Volunteer Self Sign-Up online at your convenience and choose a service that appeals to you and fits into your schedule. When you commit to a service, it is removed from the list and you will receive an email confirming that you have chosen the service and providing details including the member’s name, address, and phone number.
As a Nauset Neighbors volunteer, your schedule is in your hands and you may volunteer as frequently as you wish. Our Volunteer Self Sign-Up enables you to peruse the outstanding requests and choose the ones that fit best with your schedule. There is no expectation that you will volunteer at a certain time each week or that you will provide a fixed number of services each year. Many of our volunteers do a service once or twice a month, some volunteer weekly, others do more than once a week. Your time is your own and we appreciate whatever you can do to support our members.
Because we are an all-volunteer organization, we do not have an office staff. When our members call to place a request during our business hours, they reach a volunteer who has been trained on the use of our software/website and Google-based phone and email. These volunteers sign up for a three-hour shift, at least twice a month.